I am a Respiratory Consultant working in the NHS in London. My job makes me think a lot – about people, life, death, inequality and how things could be better. If you’ve found your way here I hope you share some of these interests.
I am interested in:
- respiratory medicine
- social inequality and its effect on health and wellbeing
- end of life care
- public narratives of science and medicine
- undergraduate and postgraduate medical education
- concepts of risk, expertise and futility
- the use of social media in health and education
- the role of the arts in health and wellbeing
- public and medical discourses on death and dying
- staying well as a public sector worker
- lots of other things
This is me:
Dr Laura-Jane Smith, newly appointed Consultant in Respiratory and Internal Medicine at Kings College Hospital, London.
All opinions expressed here are entirely my own and do not necessarily represent the views of my employers.
I initially started this blog to share thoughts that felt too difficult to understand and navigate myself. My writing is a way for me to think through ideas around medicine, ethics, and identity which I continue to grapple with. I have learned so much from everyone who has been in touch online and in person and would love to hear from you too so please comment on the posts, or get in touch via twitter.
My interests have led to involvement in a number of projects. Particular highlights are:
- Death Cafe – I am a supporter, attender, and occasional host of death cafe, a social movement creating time and space for open discussions about death and dying, over tea and cake.
- Life.Death.Whatever – this ever evolving project tackles death, dying and grief in innovative ways. I have been honoured to be part of recent projects including Voices, and Five Things.
- London Arts in Health Forum – I was until recently a trustee of this wonderful organisation which aims to develop the role of culture in wellbeing and to promote and support arts in health activity across London and nationally.
- Euston Foodbank – I am a trustee and volunteer of this Trussell Trust affiliated foodbank, redistributing food to local people in crisis living below the poverty line.
Thanks for visiting. x